PhD(Veterinary Parasitology), Glasgow University, UK
MSc (Applied Parasitology), USM, Penang
B. App Sc (Hons) Parasitology, USM, Penang
Ext. 4052: email@example.com
Currently working on heat shock protein 90 (Hsp90) in nematodes and its roles in drug resistance. In free-living Caernorhabditis elegans, Hsp90 was shown to be resistant to geldanmycin, a specific inhibitor of Hsp90. In contrast in Brugia pahangi Hsp90 is susceptible to geldanamycin. The study was to determine whether the failure of C. elegans Hsp90 to bind to geldanmycin is norm or exception amongst nematodes. The results so far shown that, the failure of C. elegans Hsp90 to bind to geldanamycin is shared with other nematodes.
Previous project focused on the characterisation of Hsp90 in Brugia pahangi, a parasitic nematode of small animal. Hsp90 was shown to be essential in B. pahangi. Inhibition of Hsp90 function by geldanamycin is lethal to the nematode. However, no information exists to explain why geldanamycin and how geldanamycin kills the worms. This project was to characterise B. pahangi Hsp90 in more detail with a view to a better understanding of the function of Hsp90 in nematodes.Beside that, proteomic analyses have been used to determine the protein that might be associated with Hsp90 function.
In addition, nematode resistance to anthelmintics threatens the viability of the small ruminant industry in many countries all over the world. In tumors and fungi, Hsp90 is known to be involved in drug resistance. In order to investigate the roles of Hsp90 in nematode resistance, Caenorhabditis elegans has been used a model. Results so for have suggested that Hsp90 might have a role in drug resistance in C. elegans, but the mechanism by which Hsp90 might function in resistance innematodes remains to be ascertained.
- Wahab A Rahman, Nik Ahmad Irwan Izzauddin and Shahrul Anuar Mohd Sah. 2006. Prevalence Of Gastrointestinal Nematodes And Faecal Egg Intensity In Farmed Sambar Deer (Cervus unicolor) From Wildlife Conservation Centre, Malaysian Department Of Wildlife And National Park, Sungkai, Perak. Journal of Bioscience. 17 (2): 31-35.
- Gillan V, Maitland K, McCormack G, Him NA, Devaney E. 2009. Functional genomics of hsp-90 in parasitic and free-living nematodes. International Journal for Parasitology 39: 1071-1081.
- Him N. A., Gillan V., Emes R. D., Maitland, K., and Devaney E. 2009. Hsp-90 and the biology of nematodes. BMC Evolutionary Biology. 9: 254.
ABSTRACTS, POSTERS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Nik Ahmad Irwan Izzauddin Nik Him, Vicky Gillan, Kirstin Maitland, Eileen Devaney. 2009. The Comparative Analysis of Hsp90 in Nematodes. World Association for the Advancement of Veterinary Parasitology 22nd International Conference. Telus Convention Center, Calgary, Canada August 8th-13th 2009.
- Nik Ahmad Irwan Izzauddin Nik Him, Vicky Gillan, Eileen Devaney.2009. The Comparative Analysis of Hsp90 in Nematodes. British Society for Parasitology Spring and Malaria Meeting. Edinburgh University April 6th-8th 2009.
- Nik Ahmad Irwan Izzauddin Nik Him, Vicky Gillan, Eileen Devaney. 2008. Further characterisation of B. pahangi Hsp90 and the comparison of Hsp90 expression in resistant worms. Fifth Annual Postgraduate Poster Competition. FBLS University of Glasgow 21st November 2008.
- Nik Ahmad Irwan Izzauddin Nik Him. 2008. The Comparative Analysis of Hsp90 in Nematodes. Student Prize Competition, Sponsored By Pfizer 28th May 2008.
- Nik Ahmad Irwan Izzauddin Nik Him, Vicky Gillan, Eileen Devaney. 2008. Hsp90 and the biology of parasitism. British Society for Parasitology Spring and Malaria Meeting. Newcastle University March 30th – 2nd April 2008.