School of Biological Sciences, USM
B.Sc. (Hons.), M.Sc., PhD. ,Universiti Sains Malaysia
Ext. 3509; firstname.lastname@example.org
Mangrove and Marine Ecology
Environmental Impact Assessment
My research interest focus on :
• marine and mangrove ecological studies
• environmental impact assessment (i.e. water quality, benthos and fisheries)
• Ecosystem Restoration Based on Indicators and Models in evaluating Ecosystem Threats. Research University Grant
• Research on Assessment of Socioeconomic Impacts and Ecosystem Health of the Second Penang Bridge Construction on Sustainability - Marine Component Funded by Jambatan Kedua Sdn. Bhd. (JKSB). Contract Research under USAINS Holdings Sdn. Bhd.
On going grants :
1. How Does Nutirent and Sediment Loading Affect Estuarine Ecosystem. Research University Grant. Amount RM126,700.00. From 15 July 2012 – 14 July 2015
2. Modelling Benthic Assemblage Structure, Water Quality, Sediment Quality And Land Use Patterns For Sustainable Coastal Management. Research University Grant. Amount RM230,700.00 From April 2010 – May 2013
3. Mud Crab Seedling Production Funded by TEXCHEM Food Sdn Bhd. Amout: RM200,000.00 Period : January 2011 – January 2013
1. Biochemical Composition and Genetic Response of Green Microalgae (Chlorophyta) to the Changing Environmental Conditions along the Continental Gradients. Funded by Research University Grant. Amount RM250,000.00. From 1 December 2011 – 30 November 2014
2. Catch Assessment of Coastal Artisanal and Trawl Fisheries and Socioeconomic Analysis of Fishing Communities in Penang Island. USM Short-term Grant. Amount: RM39,500.00. From 15 January 2012 – 14 January 2014
3. An Ecological And Population Modelling Study Of The Biofouling Organisms Of Penang Coastal Areas. Funded by Fundamental Research Grant Scheme. Amount: RM97,500.00. From 1 August 2011 – 31 July 2013
4. Water Quality Characteristics of Thermal Discharge from a Coastal Power Plant based on Marine Phytoplankton Composite Indices. USM Short-term Grant.Amout : RM 40,000.00. From 15 August 2011 – 14 August 2013
5. Recycling Project : Toward Public Awareness and Nature's Sustainability. Funded by Shell Grant. Amount:RM20,000.00 From 16 March 2012 – 15 March 2013
6. Community-Based Seagrass Meadows Conservation in Penang South Channel. Funded by Shell Grant. Amount:RM20,000.00 From 16 March 2012 – 15 March 2013
7. Identification of Biopharmaceuticals against atherosclerosis from marine natural resources. Grant from Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation. Amount RM55,000.00. May 2010 – June 2012.
8. Production of high nutritional algae as aquaculture feeds, funded by National
Oceanography Directorate, Malaysia
Completed grants :
As Project Leader:
1 Study On Ingression of Jellyfish in Thermal Power Plants at coastal area of
Peninsular Malaysia Funded by Tenaga Nasional Sdn Bhd (under USAINS) Amount :RM690,000.00 Period: June 2009 - June 2011
2 To develop an ecosystem model for evaluation the health of mangrove estuary due to degradation (FRGS) Amount: RM 39,000.00 Period: 15 January 2007 – 14 January 2010
2. Consultancy project: Preliminary Environmental Impact Assessment on Marine Ecology Studies: For Supply, installation and commissioning of 11kv 3 core xlpe submarine cables and accessories to Pulau Jerejak,Penang. Funded: Persada Electrical & Engineering Works Sdn Bhd (under USAINS). Amount: RM89,000.00
Period: 30 June 2008 –Nov 2008
3. Assessment of the islands of Balambangan, Banggi and Malawali and Marudu Bay in the Kudat Priority Conservation Area, Sulu- Sulawesi Eco-region. Grant from Wetlands International, 15 April - 10 May 2009 RM
Amount: MYR10,000.00. Period: 15 April – 10 May 2009
4. Bioassessment Of Pulau Layang Layang Lagoon Using Net Ecosystem Metabolism (Nem) Modelling [Joint Program DoF-USM under DEPARTMENT OF PRIME MINISTER] 9-25April 2006
1. Integrated Monitoring Tool For Marine Culture Agriculture. Funded by Research University Grant. Amount: RM100,000.00. From 1 April 2010 – 30 June2012
2. Wetland ecosystem health: A key factor in the sustainable development of watersheds in the northern corridor economic region.Funded by Research University Grant. Amount: 430,000.00. Oct 2007- March 2011
3. Conservation Approaches For The Merbok Estuary With Special Emphasis On The Population Biology Of The Ariidae. Funded by Research University Grant. Amount: RM100,000.00. From 1 November 2009 – 31 December 2011.
4. Modeling The Recovery and Role Of Mangroves In Tsunami Mitigation. Funded by Research Grant University. Amount RM165,400.00. From 31 October 2007 – 30 September 2011
5. Joint Project DoF-USM: Study on the Acostic and Oceanography Survey around the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia 2006. Collaborative project between Fishery Research Institute and Universiti Sains Malaysia
6. Bioprospecting for novel therapeutics natural product from unicellular green algae.E-Science Fund 2006. (December 2006 – November 2008). MOSTI.
3. POSTGRADUATE STUDENTS:
Graduated Posgraduate student: : 1 Phd (co-supervision) & 3 MSc (main supervision)
Postgraduate Under supervision : 8 (main supervision)
1. Jabatan Kedua Sdn. Bhd.
2. TEXCHEM Food Sdn. Bhd.
3. Department of Fisheries, Faculty of Agriculture University of Rajshahi, Bangladesh
4. Zhejiang Mariculture Research Institute, Wenzhou, China
M. Y. Hossain, M.A Hossen, M, N.U. Paramik, K. Yahya., A.H Bahkali & A.M. Elogorban(2016). Length–weight relationships of Dermogenys pusilla Kuhl & van Hasselt, 1823(Zenarchopteridae) and Labeo bata (Hamilton, 1822) (Cyprinidae) from the Ganges River (NW Bangladesh). J. Applied Ichthyology , 1-3
M. Y. Hossain S. M. Abu Naser , Ali H. Bahkali, K. Yahya, M.A. Hossein, A. Elgorban, M.M Islam&M.M Rahman (2016). Life History Traits of the Flying Barb Esomus danricus (Hamilton, 1822) (Cyprindae) in the Ganges River, Northern Bangladesh. Pakistan Journal of Zoology.Vol 48(2):399-408
Chowdhury, M.A., Khairun, Y., and Shivakoti, G.P. (2015). Indicator-based sustainability assessment of shrimp farming: a case for extensive culture methods in South-western coastal Bangladesh. Int. J. Sustainable Development, Vol. 18, No. 4, 261-281.
Khairun Yahya, Shuhaida Shuib, Fatin Izzati Minhat, Omar Ahmad, Anita Talib (2014). The Distribution of Benthic Foraminiferal Assemblages in the north-west Coastal Region of Malacca Straits, Malaysia. Journal of Coastal Life Medicine. Vol:2 (10), 784-790
Fatin I Minhat, Khairun Yahya, Anita Talib, Omar Ahmad (2014). Benthic Foraminiferal Distributions as Bioindicators in Coastal Waters of Penang National Park, Malaysia. The Journal of Foraminiferal Research. Vol 44(2): 143-150
Giam Kah Hooi , Hasnah Haron and Khairun Yahya (2013). Khay Hor Charcoal Factory: Challenges of a Sunset Industry. IIUM Journal of Case Studies in Management, Vol 4, No 1, July 2013 ISSN 2180-2327
Nurul Ruhayu, M.R. & Khairun Yahya (2013).Trends of Sediment Loading in Catchment Areas of Pinang River in Malaysia. APCBEES Procedia, Elsevier Vol. 5, 128-133
Hurul Adila-Aida Mohamad Rosly, Siti Azizah Mohd Nor, Khairun Yahya, Darlina Md Naim (2013). Mitochondrial DNA diversity of mud crab Scylla olivacea (Portunidae) in Peninsular Malaysia: a preliminary assessment. Molecular Biology Reports. Pp 1-12. Springer, Netherland
Md. Latiful Islam, Hindol Kumar Pal, Md. Arif Chowdhury, Khairun Yahya & Md. Jahangir Alam. (2013). Species Diversification in Coastal Shrimp Farming of Bangladesh : Farmers’ Innovations and Experiences. Asia-Pacific Journal of Rural Development Vol XXIII(2):27- 36.
Fatin I Minhat, Khairun, Y, Anita, T & Omar, A. (2013) A survey of benthic foraminiferal assemblages in tropical coastal water of Penang, Malaysia. Tropical Life Sciences Research. 24(1), 35–43
Khairun,Y. Nur Munira A, Nurul Ruhayu MR and Chowdhury MA (2012). Coastal Aquaculture Effluent quality and Environmental Management for Healthy Coastal Ecosystem – A Case Study of Pinang River, Balik Pulau in Penang Island, Malaysia. Asia-Pacific Journal of Rural Development Vol 22(2):1-10
Fatin Izzati Minhat, Khairun Yahya, Anita Talib & Omar Ahmad (2012). Benthic Foraminiferal Assemblages as Potential Ecological Proxies for Environmental Monitoring in Coastal Water. 2012 2nd International Conference on Environment and BioScience IPCBEE vol.44 (2012) © (2012) IACSIT Press, Singapore DOI: 10.7763/IPCBEE. 2012. V44. 13 pp60-64
Mansor Mat Isa, Mohamad Najamuddin Abdul Basri, Mohamad-Zafrizal Mohd Zawawi, Khairun Yahya, Siti-Azizah Md Nor. (2012) Length-weight Relationships of Some Important Estuarine Fish Species from Merbok Estuary, Kedah. Journal of Natural Sciences Research Vol 2 (2) 8-17.
Mansor Mat Isa, Nurul Shafikah Mohd Noor, Khairun Yahya, Siti Azizah Md Nor (2012). Reproductive biology of estuarine catfish, Arius argyropleuron (Siluriformes: Ariidae) in the northern part of Peninsular Malaysia. Journal of Biology, Agriculture and Healthcare.
Vol. 2 (3) 14-27.
Poh Wong, Mohd Osman, Abdullah Talib, Khairun Yahya. (2012). Modelling of Fish Swimming Patterns Using an Enhanced Object Tracking Algorithm. Frontiers in Computer Education. Pp 585-592. Springer Berlin/Heidelberg
Omar, A, Tay, P.F & Khairun, Y (2012) . Distribution of Intertidal Organisms in the shore of Teluk Aling, Penang, Malaysia. Publ. Seto Mar. Biol. Lab.41:51-61
Chowdhury, M.A., Khairun, Y., Salequzzaman, M and Mizanur Rahman, M. (2011). Effect of combined shrimp and rice farming on water and soil quality in Bangladesh Aquaculture International.pp 1-14
Chowdhury, M.A., Khairun, Y and Shivakoti, G.P. (2011). Extensive shrimp aquaculture in coastal areas of Bangladesh: socioeconomic and environmental perspective. Asia-Pacific Journal of Rural Development Vol. XXI, No:2, pp 1-18
Chowdhury, M.A., Khairun, Y., Rahman, M.M., and Shivakoti, G.P. (2010) Production economics as an indicator for sustainable development of shrimp farming. Asia-Pacific Journal of Rural Development, Vol. XX(1) pp:79-98,
Ganjian, K., Wan Maznah, W. O., Khairun, Y., Fazli, H., Vahedi, M., Roohi, A. Farabi, S. M. V. 2010. Seasonal and regional distribution of phytoplankton in the southern part of the Caspian Sea. Iranian Journal of Fisheries Sciences 9 (3): 382 – 401.
Ali Ganjian Khenari, Wan Maznah, W. O., Khairun Yahya, Shaban Najafpour, Ghasem D. Najafpour, Vahedi, M.,A. Roohi & Hasan Fazli. 2010. Seasonal succession of phytoplankton community structure in the Southern Part of Caspian Sea. American-Eurasian J. Agric. & Environ. Sci., 8(2): 146-155.
Ali Ganjian Khenari, Wan Maznah, W. O., Khairun Yahya, Shaban Najafpour, Ghasem D. Najafpour, Hasan Fazli & A. Roohi. 2010. Principal Component Analysis and Multivariate Index for Assessment of Eutrophication in Southern Part of Caspian Sea. World Applied Sciences Journal 9(3): 283-290.
Ali Ganjian Khenari, Wan Maznah, W. O., Khairun Yahya, Shaban Najafpour. Ghasem D. & A. Roohi. 2009. The assessment of biological indices for classification of water quality in Southern Part of Caspian Sea. World Applied Sciences Journal 7 (9): 1097-1104.
Nor Sida Che Nayan, Misni Surif, Wan Maznah, W. O., Khairun Yahya, Mohamad Zamri. 2010. A preliminary study on the maintenance of a single dominant microalgae Chlorella sp. in co-cultivation with tiger shrimp Penaeus monodon. International Conference on Environmental Research and Technology (ICERT 2010): Research and Innovation Towards Environmental Sustainability (Teng Tjoon Tow & Yusri Yusup, eds.). 2-4 June 2010, ParkRoyal Penang, Malaysia. pp. 620-623.
Khairun, Y. (2009). Marine Ecology Studied at Muka Head Centre of Marine and Coastal Studies. In: Monograph of Landscape, Heritage and Ecology, USM Publication, 2009
Kwang, S.Y., Khairun, Y. & Anita, T. (2009) Jellyfish Outbreak in Coastal Water of Penang. Oral Presentation at Second Workshopof WESPAC on the Response of Marine Hazards to Climate Change in the Western Pacific, First Institute of Oceanography, State Oceanic Administration, China, 5-6 Dec. 2009 Qingdao, China
Kwang, S.Y, Khairun, Y & Anita, T (2009). The Monthly Distribution And Abundance Of Jellyfish (Medusae) Species In The Coastal Waters Of Penang National Park, Penang, Malaysia. International Conference on the Marine Ecosystems 2009 (INCOMES 2009), 26-28 May 2009, Awana Porto Malai, Langkawi, Malaysia
Ganjian, A., Wan Maznah, W. O., Khairun, Y., Fazli, H., Farabi, V., Roohi, A., Zarghami. M and Mahdavi. A. (2009). Seasonal distribution of Harmful Cyanophyta in the southern Part of Caspian Sea. 1st national conference lagoons of Iran, 4-5 March 2009 Isl