B.Sc. (Hons.), Univ. of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne. UK
M. Sc., Swansea University, UK
Ph.D., Cardiff University, UK
Ext. 4004 , 3080 ; firstname.lastname@example.org
Molecular Ecology and Population Genetics
My area of interest is in molecular and population genetics, mainly of important aquatic organisms. Research projects have included investigation of biodiversity in an evolutionary context as well in aquaculture and conservation of commercially important freshwater and marine species (fish, oysters, mudcrab, haruan and tilapia) for management and sustainable fisheries. As a member of the Aquaculture Research Group at USM, my main contribution to the group is through genetic input for a sustainable breeding programme. This involves the identification of genetically optimal broodstock at the initiation of a breeding programme achieved through the utilisation of molecular markers, These markers are often newly generated from genomics study as many useful markers are species specific. They are also utilised during the breeding phase to monitor the genetic health of the culture and parentage assignment to link superior frys to their parents. Presently one of the major focus of this group is the sustainable aquaculture of the haruan, Channa striata and a national project of the kelah, Tor involving several institutes of higher learning as well as the Fisheries Department of Malaysia. I am also very interested in looking at phylogeography and phylogenetics of fishes in this biodiversity hotspot. On a regional scale there are several completed and on-going projects on freshwater fishes, with focus on the spiny eels (Mastacembelids) halfbeak (Hemirhamphodon), keli (Clarias) and snakehead (Channa) to investigate how ancient river connectivity, geographical and anthropogenic signatures have shaped the genetic pattern of these fishes in the Sundaland (Malaysia, Indonesia, Borneo and Sumatra) and the Mekong river delta. This has been made possible through collaborative research with the Cambodian Inland Fisheries Department and higher institutions in Vietnam and Thailand. I have also a very keen interest in the global FishBOL initiative to identify all fishes and have organised related national workshops. In 2011 our group conducted a DNA barcoding workshop in Rasht, Iran at the invitation of the Iranian Fisheries Organisation. At the moment I am leading a DNA barcoding project of all commercially important marine fishes in Malaysia and initiating a metagenome approach to identify fish spawning areas. To date we have barcoded almost 200 species of marine and freshwater fishes, bivalves, crustacean and echinoderms in the surrounding seas of Malaysia - Straits of Malacca, South China Sea, Sulu Sea and Sulawesi Sea. I am also a recipient of an International Oceanic Commission Western Pacific grant for DNA barcoding of reef fishes. This DNA barcoding data is important in seafood forensics for consumer protection against seafood frauds. More recently, our group are working on genomics and selective breeding studies in the snakehead, Channa striata for aquaculture improvement. In collaboration with WorldFish and Department of Fisheries (DoF) our group has also successfully conducted selective breeding programme on 10 generations of the Genetically Improved Farmed Tilapia (GIFT) with success in improving growth traits.
- Enhancing the capacity for species identification and genetic analyses on marine organisms in coral reef ecosystems in Western Pacific – International Oceanic Commission and Korea Institute of Ocean Science and Technology grant.
- DNA Barcoding and Genomics– Ensuring Sustainable Fisheries in Malaysia USM Delivering Excellence Apex grant
- Taxonomy and phylogeography of the freshwater halfbeak, Genus Hemirhamphodon in Sundaland River Basin by combined molecular and morphological approaches- FRGS (2011-2013)
- Taxonomy and phylogeography of the freshwater halfbeak, Genus Hemirhamphodon in Sundaland River Basin by combined molecular and morphological approaches- International Research Collaboration Grant (IReC) (2013-2015) – an extension of the FRGS grant (above) with the objective of global networking with foreign collaborators
- Mastacembelidae: Phylogeographic patterns in the Sunda Shelf – USM RU (2011-2013)
- Genetic variation of the Malaysian oyster with special emphasis on the black scar oyster (E-Science grant
- Barcoding and phylogenetics of the Scombridae with special emphasis on the population genetics of the kembung, Rastrelliger brachysoma for sustainable fisheries – USM RU (2010-2013)
- Genome-wide Genetic Marker Discovery and Genotyping of Malaysian Mahseer (Tor spp) using Next Generation Sequencing – Ministry of Science and Technology (2012-2015)
- Molecular studies of kelah Tor spp. Diversity in Taman Negara (2010-2012) – External agency
- Cultured haruan for functional food: from sustainable aquaculture practices to novel food processing: Selective breeding and cryopreservation approaches for genetic improvement and stock conservation Of the Haruan, Channa striata aquaculture. RUT (2011-2014)
- Department of Fisheries, Malaysia
- Forest Research Institute (FRIM)
- University of Sarawak
- Universities- UKM, UPM, UM, UMT and Universiti Malaysia Sabah (Borneo Marine Institute)
- Sabah and Sarawak State Fisheries Departments
- Sarawak Agriculture Fisheries Department
- School of Biological Sciences, University of Bangor, (UK)
- Institute of Oceanography University of Taiwan
- Iranian Fisheries Research Organisation (IFRO)
- Universitas Air Langga, Indonesia
- Can Tho University, Vietnam
- Florida Museum of Natural History
- University of Syiah Kuala, Banda Acheh
- University of Rajamangala, Thailand
- University of Ubon Ratchathani University
- Korea Institute of Ocean Science
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Griffith, Australia
- University of Western Australia
- WorldFish Center
Publication last 5 years (2009 -2014)
- Akib, N. A. M., Tam, B. M., Phumee, P., Abidin, M. Z., Tamadoni, S., Mather, P. B., & Siti Azizah, M. N (2015). High Connectivity in Rastrelliger kanagurta: Influence of Historical Signatures and Migratory Behaviour Inferred from mtDNA Cytochrome b. PloS one, 10(3). (IF 3.057; Q1)
- Chin, T. C., Bakar, A. A., Abidin, D. H. Z., & Siti Azizah, M. N. (2015). Detection of mislabelled seafood products in Malaysia by DNA barcoding: Improving transparency in food market. Food Control. (IF 3.388; Q1)
- Min Pau Tan, Amirul Firdaus Jamaluddin Jamsari, Mohd Nor Siti Azizah. 2012 Phylogeographic Pattern of the Striped Snakehead, Channa striata in Sundaland: Ancient River Connectivity, Geographical and Anthropogenic Signatures. PLOS ONE December 2012 | Volume 7 | Issue 12 | e52089 (IF 3.057; Q1)
- Mark de Bruyn, Lukas Rüber, Stephan Nylinder, Björn Stelbrink, Nathan Lovejoy, Sebastien Lavoue, Heok Hui Tan, Estu Nugroho, Daisy Wowor, Peter K.L. Ng, Siti Azizah Mohd Nor, Thomas von Rintelen, Robert Hall, Gary R. Carvalho. 2013. Paleo-drainage Basin Connectivity Predicts Evolutionary Relationships across Three Southeast Asian Biodiversity Hotspots. Syst. Biol. 62(3):398–410, doi: 10.1093/sysbio/syt007 (IF 8.802; Q1)
- Munir, M. B., Hashim, R., Chai, Y. H., Marsh, T. L., & Nor, S. A. M. (2016). Dietary prebiotics and probiotics influence growth performance, nutrient digestibility and the expression of immune regulatory genes in snakehead (Channa striata) fingerlings. Aquaculture, 460, 59-68. (IF 1.893; Q1)
- Mohd Sharifuddin, M. & Siti Azizah MN. 2014. Preliminary studies on cryopreservation of snakehead (Channa striata) embryos. Cryobiology. 69 (1): 1-9 (IF 1.920; Q1)
- Tun Nurul Aimi Mat Jaafar, Martin I. Taylor, Siti Azizah Mohd Nor, Mark de Bruyn, Gary R. Carvalho 2012. DNA Barcoding Reveals Cryptic Diversity within Commercially Exploited Indo-Malay Carangidae (Teleosteii: Perciformes) PLOS ONE. November 2012 | Volume 7 | Issue 11 | e49623 (IF 3.057; Q1)
- Gharamah A. A., Siti Azizah M. N., W.A. Rahman 2012. Genetic variation of Haemonchus contortus (Trichostrongylidae) in sheep and goats from Malaysia and Yemen. Veterinary Parasitology 188: 268– 276. (IF 2.545; Q1)
- Lim, H.-C., Ahmad, A. T., Nuruddin, A. A. & Siti Azizah MN. 2014. Cytochrome b gene reveals panmixia among Japanese Threadfin Bream, Nemipterus japonicus (Bloch, 1791) populations along the coasts of Peninsular Malaysia and provides evidence of a cryptic species. Mitochondrial DNA (0), 1-10.
- Mohd Sharifuddin, M. & Siti Azizah MN. 2014. Preliminary studies on cryopreservation of snakehead (Channa striata) embryos. Cryobiology.
- Zainal Abidin, D. H., Mustaffa, S., A. Rahim, M., M. Nair, D., Md. Naim, D. & Siti Azizah MN. 2014. Population genetics of the black scar oyster, Crassostrea iredalei: repercussion of anthropogenic interference. Mitochondrial DNA (0), 1-12.
- Nazia AK and Siti Azizah MN. Isolation of microsatellites in the bighead catfish, Clarias macrocephalus and cross-amplification in selected Clarias species 2014. Molecular Biology Reports. 41 (3): 1207-1213.
- Siti-Balkhis Abu Bakar, Norhanis M. Razali, Siti-Azizah Mohd Nor, Zulfigar Yasin, Christopher M. Wade, Fred Naggs and Aileen Tan Shau Hwai. 2014. The mitochondrial 16S rRNA reveals high anthropogenic influence on land snail diversity in a preliminary island survey Molecular Biology Reports. 41 (3): 1799- 1805.
- Mark de Bruyn, Lukas Rüber, Stephan Nylinder, Björn Stelbrink, Nathan Lovejoy, Sebastien Lavoue, Heok Hui Tan, Estu Nugroho, Daisy Wowor, Peter K.L. Ng, Siti Azizah Mohd Nor, Thomas von Rintelen, Robert Hall, Gary R. Carvalho. 2013. Paleo-drainage Basin Connectivity Predicts Evolutionary Relationships across Three Southeast Asian Biodiversity Hotspots. Syst. Biol. 62(3):398–410, doi: 10.1093/sysbio/syt007
- Hurul Adila-Aida Mohamad Rosly, Siti Azizah Mohd Nor, Khairun Yahya, Darlina Md. Naim 2013. Mitochondrial DNA diversity of mud crab Scylla olivacea (Portunidae) in Peninsular Malaysia: a preliminary assessment Molecular Biology Reports 40:6407–6418 DOI 10.1007/s11033-013-2755-4
- Amirul Firdaus Jamaluddin Jamsari, So Nam, Bui Minh Tam, Mohd Nor Siti-Azizah Isolation and characterisation of microsatellite loci in the tire track eel, Mastacembelus favus and cross-species amplification Conservation Genet Resour DOI 10.1007/s12686-013-0132-1 Volume 5 No 4 December 2013
- Muchlisin Z.A., Thomy Z., Fadli N., Sarong M.A., Siti-Azizah M.N. 2013 DNA barcoding of freshwater fishes from Lake Laut Tawar, Aceh Province, Indonesia Acta Ithyologica Et Piscatoria Vol. XLIII No. 1
- Min Pau Tan, Amirul Firdaus Jamaluddin Jamsari, Mohd Nor Siti Azizah. 2012 Phylogeographic Pattern of the Striped Snakehead, Channa striata in Sundaland: Ancient River Connectivity, Geographical and Anthropogenic Signatures. PLOS ONE December 2012 | Volume 7 | Issue 12 | e52089
- Tun Nurul Aimi Mat Jaafar, Martin I. Taylor, Siti Azizah Mohd Nor, Mark de Bruyn, Gary R. Carvalho 2012. DNA Barcoding Reveals Cryptic Diversity within Commercially Exploited Indo-Malay Carangidae (Teleosteii: Perciformes) PLOS ONE. November 2012 | Volume 7 | Issue 11 | e49623
- Gharamah A. A., Siti Azizah M. N., W.A. Rahman 2012. Genetic variation of Haemonchus contortus (Trichostrongylidae) in sheep and goats from Malaysia and Yemen. Veterinary Parasitology 188: 268– 276.
- Muchlisin Z. A., Fadli N. and M. N. Siti_Azizah 2012 Genetic Variation and Taxonomy of Rasbora Group (Cyprinidae) from Lake Laut Tawar, Indonesia Journal of Ichthyology, Vol. 52, No. 4: 284–290.
- Darlina M.N., Abu Talib A., Samsudin B., Jayasankar P., Jamsari A.F.J. and Siti Azizah M.N. 2011 Morphometric and molecular analysis of Rastrelliger spp. from the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia Genetics and Molecular Research. 10 (2): 1237-1244 10 (3): 2078-2092.
- Jamsari, A.F.J., Min Pau, Tan and Siti Azizah, M.N. 2011. Isolation and MuItiplex genotyping of polymorphic microsatellite DNA markers in the snakehead murrel, Channa striata. Genetics and Molecular Biology. 34, 2, 345-347
- Jamsari Amirul Firdaus Jamaluddin, Tan Min Pau and Siti Azizah Mohd Nor. 2011. Genetic structure of snakehead murrel, Channa striata (Channidae) based on cytochrome c oxidase subunit I gene: influence of historical and geomorphological factors. Genetics and Molecular Biology. 34, 1, 152-160.
- Suzana M., Mohd Lutfi, A., Abdul Hadi, A., Devakie, M.N., and Siti Azizah, M.N. 2011 Genetic variation in Malaysian oysters: taxonomic ambiguities and evidence of biological invasion. Biological Invasion 13:1893–1900.
- Chee, S.Y., Devakie, M.N., and Siti Azizah, M.N. 2011 Utilization of Molecular markers for the conservation of the blood cockles, Anadara granosa. Genetics and Molecular Research. 10 (2): 1245-1261.
- Chee, S.Y., Devakie, M.N., and Siti Azizah, M.N. 2011 Phylogenetic study and barcoding of the blood cockle, Tegillarca granosa, found in the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia based on the COI gene. Genetics and Molecular Research. 10 (2): 1237-1244.
- Nazia, A.K., M. Suzana., H. Azhar., T. T. Nguyen Thuy and M. N. Siti Azizah. 2010. No genetic differentiation between geographically isolated populations of Clarias macrocephalus Gunther in Malaysia revealed by sequences of mtDNA Cytochrome b and D-loop gene regions. Journal of Applied Ichtyology 26: 568-570.
- Jamsari Amirul Firdaus Jamaluddin, Abu Talib Ahmad, Samsudin Basir, Masazurah Abdul Rahim and Siti Azizah Mohd Nor. 2010. Rastrelliger systematics inferred from mitochondrial cytochrome b sequences. African Journal of Biotechnology 9: 3063-3067.
- Jamsari A.F.J., Muchlisin Z.A., Musri Musman and Siti Azizah M.N. (2010). Remarkably low genetic variation but high population differentiation in the climbing perch, Anabas testudineus, based on the mtDNA control region. Genetics and Molecular Research 9: 1836-1843.
- Salman A. Al-Shami, Siti Azizah M. N., Che Salmah Md Rawi and Abu Hassan Ahmad. 2009. Preliminary Study of Phylogenetic Relationship of Rice Field Chironomidae (Diptera) Inferred From DNA Sequences of Mitochondrial Cytochrome Oxidase Subunit I. 2009. American Journal of Applied Sciences 6 (5): 1004-1009.
- Muchlisin. Z. A., Siti Azizah M.N. 2009. Diversity and distribution of freshwater fishes in Nanggroe AcehDarussalam (NAD) waters, Northern-Sumatra, Indonesia. International Journal of Zoological Research. 5(2): 62-79.
- Norfatimah M. Y. Siti Azizah M. N, Othman A. S. Patimah I., Jamsari A.F.J. 2009. Genetic variation of Lates calcarifer in Peninsular Malaysia based on cytochrome b gene. J. of Aquaculture Research. 40: 1742-1749.
- Ruzainah A., Siti Azizah M.N., Patimah I., Othman A. S.and Jamsari A.F.J. 2009. Isolation and characterization of eight polymorphic microsatellite loci for the marble goby, Oxeyleotris marmoratus. Molecular Ecology Resources (formerly Molecular Ecology Notes) 9: 1375-1429.
- Hassan Ghadirnejad, M.N. Siti Azizah, Aliakbar Salehi, Kamran Aghili, Katialisa Kamaruddin, A.F.J. Jamsari and Lim Hong Chiun. 2009. Barcoding of Five Sturgeon Species in Iran. Journal of Molecular Genetics 1: 29-34.